WEEK 4 is about Pan Frying
YOUR GOAL: Extra Crispy GBD! Control that heat!
Pan Frying: Moderate heat cooking in moderate amount of oil (the oil comes halfway up the product).
Standard Breading Procedure (SBP)
- Seasoned flour
- Egg wash
- Breading: nuts, parmesan cheese, Italian bread crumbs, panko, etc.
- Remember Wet hand/Dry hand
Paillard = flattened protein. Usually flatten between two pieces of plastic and use a meat mallet or the back of a pan. This makes for quicker, easier cooking.
Making Paillard Technique here.
- Dry your protein off well before pounding
- Amount of oil in pan should reach halfway up the product.
- Temperature should be between 325 – 375 degrees F.
- Turn product over carefull. In the pan, tip oil away from you before turning product over. Carefully set pan back down.
- When draining on paper towels, remember Chef Sofia always says…..SALT!
- Have some cool water in the sink.
- Have an opened box of baking soda handy.
- Have a sheet pan or lid that can cover the pan if it catches on fire.
FUN FACT! Almost every culture has a pan fried cutlet.